36°C

Ajmer

Ajmer Attractions

Adhai din ka Jhonpda

A mosque by Qutubuddin Aibak built in 1193, is situated on the lower slope of Taragarh hill. Aibak's successor, Shams al-Din Iltutmish added to the mosque. It is noted for its double-depth calligraphy inscriptions in the Naskh and Kufic scripts.

Apart from the mosque, called Jama Iltutmish (pronounced Altamash locally), nearly the whole of the ancient temple has fallen into ruins, but the relics are still unsurpassed as examples of Hindu architecture and sculpture. Forty columns support the roof, but no two are alike and the ornaments are exceptional in their decorations.

The mosque is among the earliest examples of the Indo-Islamic architecture. It was designed by Abu Bakr of Herat, an architect who accompanied Muhammad Ghori. The mosque was built almost entirely by Hindu masons, under the supervision of Afghan managers. The interior of the building is a quadrangle measuring 200 × 175 feet. It comprises a main hall (248 × 40 feet) supported by cloisters of pillars.[8] The pillars feature varying designs, and heavily decorated, similar to the ones in Hindu and Jain rock temples. They have large bases, and taper as they rise in height.